Saturday, October 13, 2012

Avengers #31

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artists: Brandon Peterson & Mike Mayhew
Color Art: Jason Keith
Letters: Cory Petit
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $3.99
Release Date: October 10th, 2012

"End Times"

The comic opens with a mysterious Avenger on an alien planet trying her best to get in touch with her companions on Earth. With very minimal writing and a lot of gorgeous art the story kept my attention without fail. I am relatively new to the Avengers, and I have grown more attached to them thanks to Brian Michael Bendis' writing. This issue did not fail there.
After the mystery beginning, the reader sees other Avengers recovering from one of the biggest battles of their lives. This is the correct way to highlight the passing of the AvX event by showing flickering news channels in front of Captain America showing the repercussions from recent issues. This is quickly broken into by Wonderman talking to Steve, apologizing for trashing the Avengers mansion and humiliating them on television (this event I am not familiar with due to being a newer reader).  Red Hulk wanted nothing to do with it and takes him on....it is kinda of a cool brawl.

The comic closes with a discussion of the fight and the Avengers getting the message from the girl in (what we learn to be) Inner Space. I am definitely not certain what is coming but if you are keeping up with Marvel NOW! you should know "End Times" are exactly that. The end of this run of The Avengers and The Avengers as we know them. I am excited to see what is coming....strong issue.

2 comments:

  1. yeah - Wonderman went crazy some time ago and wanted to kill all the Avengers.. it was kind of a strange storyline, considering he was dating Ms. Marvel not that long ago - glad, they finally tied that story up.

    I am really curious who this Avengers-Girl should be.. didnt look familiar at all :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed it was something like that with Wonderman. I will never catch up with my backlog...I may need people to fill in a lot of blanks.

      As for the Avengers-girl...I don't even know. Watch, it was some time-travling version of Hope with short hair or something ridiculous....I hope that isn't the case...

      Delete