Friday, October 5, 2012

Avengers Academy #38

Writer: Christos Gage
Inker: Cory Hamscher
Colorist: Chris Sotomayor
Artist: Tom Grummett
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Dan Buckley)
Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 3rd, 2012


This was one of those comics that I was not super excited for but had a blast reading it. Seeing Avengers Academy square off against Wolverine and the X-Men in a flag football game sounds relatively lame. But if you really think about the fact that the adult Avengers and adult X-Men have been beating each other into oblivion for the past few months, it is nice to see some "friendly" competition.

I have stated in the past that I am not overly attached to the characters in Avengers Academy but this seems to be changing. I have started to enjoy seeing X-23, Mettle, Hazmat and the others living their lives and trying to figure out how to live with their powers. I am starting to see why people are sad that this title is coming to a close at the end of the month and I see how much Gage poured his heart into his story and characters.

That said, this issue was a lot of fun to read. There were a few embarrassing moments that I hate to admit I laughed at; such as "Don't taze me, Jo!" while Jocasta used her shocking power to control people who decided to take the game too seriously with their powers. There is also a silly little penis joke with Mettle, Rockslide and Hazmat.

My favorite joke of the issue was when Gambit was attempting to give tips for picking up ladies to Reptil and his style is referred to as being a "Pepe Le Pew" schtick. I love Gambit, I do, but man is that right on point.

Lastly, it seems I need to do a little Doop translation from early in the issue. These translations are in order that they appear in the comic:

1. "You get chippy with me, kid, I'll suck you into the extra-dimensional void in my mouth and you can kiss the backup brain in my butt."

2. "Mess with the bull, you'll get the horns."

This was truly a fun comic and any fan of Avengers Academy or Wolverine and the X-Men would not be upset if they pick it up. It is nice to see Avengers and X-Men work together again and it is painting a picture for the future. It is more important now more than ever that heroes get along with mutants....if you read Avengers vs X-Men round 12 you know what I am talking about....

No comments:

Post a Comment